Saturday, October 2, 2010

Settling In

When you begin to thank God for something and you realize you have yourself to thank as well, well that is something to be proud of. 

I am so thankful to be given this opportunity for such monumental growth and discovery, and I thank myself for taking it. 

Loli and her husband Antonio live across the street from me and when Rebecca and I stand at our balcony, watching the people come and go below us, the older Spanish couple call out, “Hola” and we wave back.  My apartment here in Baza is unbelievable in the fact that it is furnished, beautifully decorated, and amazingly cheap in rent. 

From buying a cell phone to buying groceries, and spending time with my Irish roommate Rebecca and her extremely giving mother, Margaret, I am reminded that people are the same all over the world. In the U.S. I forget to remember that people in Europe travel, use cell phones, read novels and take Christmas vacations just as we do.  I was under some arrogant impression that the U.S. was king, and that Europe, Asia, and South America merely copied everything we did. It is nice to be in a place where I am reminded that humans all over the world really just go about their days, getting up for work, drinking café, spending time with friends, and loving their families.

It has been one week since I left the States and most of my time has been spent settling in.  I ate one night at a Chinese restaurant—which was entertainingly odd to see Chinese women speaking quick, accented Spanish.  The Spanish do not believe much in the way of vegetables, sticking to mostly eggs, meat, and cheese.  For me this will be a challenge.  It has been nice to have Rebecca’s mother here, although she speaks no Spanish, she has done all the mothering—from helping us pick out sheets for our beds, to buying our first month’s supply of groceries.  She is a petite woman with quaint pearl earrings, and says things such as “here ya fellas” and “Oh I wouldn’t...not in a month of Sundays mind you”. 

From Hello to Hola
My Spanish speaking skills have come back more quickly than I imagined, with words like huelga (strike) and mosca (fly) coming out of my mouth before my mind has time to muddle them over.  The accent here is not too thick and I was lucky enough to make a friend on the bus down from Madrid and spend four hours speaking of wine, Franco, bullfights, films, and Disneyland.  Citizens of Baza are excited to use their English with me, although it doesn’t go much past “Yes!” , “Go!” , “Hello.” 

My coordinator, Nati, the woman in charge of the Bilingual Education Program at I.E.S. El Fuerte (where I begin teaching next week), has exceptional English and I enjoy listening to her speak in her formal British accent, selecting each word carefully before using it. Nati is a brilliant woman, who just accepted her PhD on Monday for her studies in South African literature.  Nati calls me daily to make sure I am doing okay, adjusting to the changes in home and in culture.  She is warm, welcoming and accommodating.  Just as I did with my family in Chile, I managed to be connected with the best of the best in Andalucia. 

This weekend I will head to Granada, the bigger city and I'll begin classes on Monday.  My school is clean and nice, not to mention very advanced—each student is given a laptop to take home.  I will assisting the P.E. teacher, the math teacher, and the Geography teacher instruct in English and I will be helping Nati develop her Bilingual Education program at IES El Fuerte.  You can never know for sure, but something tells me I am going to love being back in the classroom.

Thank you for reading.

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear of your adventures and challenges (no veggies?). That also must mean they have no ranch, because without veggies, ranch is useless; a topic on Chelsea Lately this week. I think of you often and I am so proud of your goals and dreams and your ability to achieve those said dreams. Many can dream but few live those dreams, you my sweet Vixie are the few that chase those dreams and make them your own. Cheers to you, Goddess of the moon and Granada.

    Love, Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I can't wait to read your blogs, I have forgotten what a great writer you are...and it's just your blog!! I can't tell you how excited I am for you, and proud of you! I'm so sorry that I missed your phone call today. I was working at Bully's. I would really love to set up a skype date soon! Please let me know what days/times are good for you. You are about 9 hours ahead of me, I think. I love you Jenny! Explore, eat, laugh, love, and learn my friend!

    Love,

    Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you're keeping a blog Luna. Hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your blog filled my heart with joy. It sounds so peaceful and amazing. I am so happy that you are doing this. It makes me realize that all things happen for a reason in life, and I truly believe that this is part of your life's plan. Thank you for sharing your experience...I can't wait to hear more. I love love love you!

    ReplyDelete